Sunday, December 21, 2014

the new breed authors

I am not exactly a fan of Chetan Bhagat. But one can not deny the kind of inspiration he has become to new and talented writers. I had the great fortune to read one of them during my last train journey. I had my copy of Naseeruddin Shah's Biography to help me through the 24 hour ordeal. I was hoping that eight hours will be lost in sleeping and the book will keep me company for six hours at least, so I was good to go. But it was one of those rare journeys where you are allowed to keep the lights on for a considerable period of dark hours. So was done with Naseer's book before going to sleep. My first reaction after waking up was as always to empty my bowels while smoking a cigarette, which I am not allowed at home. (The cigarette part, not emptying).
My second concern was to get a book to read to pass the whole day's journey ahead. Now there is a thing about railway stations, that you don't stop a lot and book stalls are mostly near the entrance. If you are lucky enough, there may be some vendor just outside your car. So I guess, it was my lucky day and after much scrutiny and suggestions by the vendor, Seeing Chetan's face on the covers of more than half of the books and much haggling over the price, I got myself a copy of, I don't remember the name of the book, though.
It was co-written (cliche) by Nikita Singh and a boy writer with an amazing boyish charm. (Going by the photograph at the back cover). Nikita Singh too looks like a promising writer. But lets not judge a book by its back-cover. So here I was reading a major national best-seller (cliche again, not sure but I have gathered from somewhere that books selling 10,000 copies in a country of 1.25 billion, are best sellers).

So the story goes like this....Some ugly duckling is changed into a princess in matter of two chapters. She craves for love inspired by her sister's love story, even after being heartbroken in school by a Micky mouse who used her to get his home work done. (This devil has a policy of throw and use towards the girls).
Prince charming comes along to re-kindle those long lost feelings, only to get busted. He turns out to be her sister's ex-lover, who also got physical with her. (Revealed in the last few chapters, as if the reader didn't get it in the beginning).

Another rugged prince is waiting in the college, with a past. Quiet don't remember why he turned the way he was, except that he was fond of motorcycles and his father was not. In comes the friendly mouse who gets himself killed between this love triangle cum maze of prince charming, rugged prince and duckling turned beauty.

All the air is cleared, friendly mouse's dream of winning a football cup for his college is fulfilled by prince rugged and prince charming is allowed to go into the sunset to straighten things with Karma  with his fancy cars and two lovers are content for the time being. THE END.

I don't understand, why these books are allowed to be sold and why people at penguin are so blind.But going by the ratings and list of books. the voracious authors have read, as shown on goodreads and others websites, what more can one expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment